Hurrah! After my unsuccessful attempt to learn Phython (3 months of learning), Ive decided to switch to Ruby and Im pretty excited about it. You know why? Its because its it can be used to write almost anything, from OS X GUI apps (CocoaRuby) to database-driven websites (Rails) to simple Unix administrative scripts. Its totally brilliant! I had a “Love at First Sight” experience when I took an intro book from my college’s library. I was inspired into this by @karthik_ak on Twitter who was also a student at Panimalar. Ive decided to study it seriously and sincerely but I can be sure that Ill be having lots of fun developing Ruby Apps!
I just thought that I could write about the features of Ruby and the reasons why its so popular. Who knows? Some one else might be inspired by this!
First of all here are some key features of Ruby that I found on the web:
Ruby on Rails (RoR) is an agile framework used in majority of the web solutions. Website development is faster using the RoR solution.
Important websites that use Ruby on Rails are Crunchbase, BaseCamp, Hulu, SpiceWorks, Penny Arcade, Twitter, Xing, and Yellowpages.com.
Also, with the Ruby programming language, it combines ideas of the dynamic scripting languages and a strong framework which is object-oriented. Additionally, Ruby on Rails leverages the extensive support of Ruby for metaprogramming, where it derives its elegance as well as its ease of development. It makes use of code generation features, which makes it easier to start complete applications and promote agile programming techniques. Rails is also unique in the field of web application in the sense that it makes use of two key design features which are DRY or “Don’t Repeat Yourself” and CoC or “Convention over Configuration”.
The above mumbo-jumbo outlines following points:
- Ruby on Rails is a feature filled Web-app frame work.
- Its uses Model View Controller (MVC) paradigm which is very popular for developing UIs (like in Java Swing Library)
- It has rapid app development capability and developers can create apps instantly and the rich set of plugins that Ruby has is highly useful and makes work more efficient and productive.
- Rails runs on Ruby! And Ruby is a very good Object Oriented language and most importantly supports MetaProgramming!
- Most of all RoR makes your application development experience joyful and fun!